choral music of David briggs and jeremy filsell
This recording brings together two of today’s finest British organist/composers and includes specially commissioned works. Jeremy Filsell’s music is rooted in a long liturgical tradition and ranges from a poignant Epitaph to a Te Deum which recreates the spirit of William Walton’s glorious piece for the 1953 Coronation. David Briggs’s Pange lingua portrays the wonders of the Holy Communion in music, and his dramatic and grandiose Messe pour Saint-Sulpice also has moments of quiet, emotional profundity. The Vasari Singers’ Great British Anthems (8572504) has been described as “essential listening” (Gramophone).
To learn more about the recording, watch our preview video below, filmed during the CD sessions at Tonbridge Chapel.
Jeremy Filsell David Briggs
1 Tomorrow shall be my dancing day* 9. Pange Lingua*
2. Epitaph (Here shadow lie)* 10. Improvisation on Tantum Ergo
3. If God build not the house Messe pour Saint Sulpice
4. Windsor Service – Magnificat 11. Kyrie
5. Windsor Service -Nunc Dimittis 12. Gloria
6. The Transfiguration 13. Sanctus
7. Windsor Service – Te Deum 14. Benedictus
8. Windsor Service – Jubilate 15. Agnus Dei
* Vasari Singers commissions
Vasari Singers gratefully acknowledges funding from the RVW Trust and the BBC Performing Arts Trust in commissioning and recording these new choral works.
All tacks are World Premiere recordings except track 8